Countdown to Christmas With These Fun Family Activities
There's no time like the holidays for reconnecting with family and friends — sitting around a warm fire, reminiscing about the good ol' days and swapping hopes and dreams for the future. Christmas especially offers extra time away from work and other activities that can be filled will fun and engaging family adventures, from shopping together for gifts to singing carols at a local nursing home or hospital.
Here's a quick wrap-up of some fun family activities you can enjoy this holiday season.
- Make cookies for Santa with the kids.
- Assemble and decorate a gingerbread house, eating plenty of candy along the way.
- Sprinkle reindeer food (carrots) on the lawn to make sure they bring Santa to your home.
- Make some Christmas treats for your furry friends.
- If it's snowing, make some snow ice cream! It's easy, and your kids will love the chilly treat.
- Pop some popcorn and string it in long batches to decorate your tree.
- Search for pinecones in the yard or at local parks and spray paint them in festive colors for decoration.
- Get creative with paper and scissors and make garlands for your doorways.
- Take your time decorating the tree, telling stories about each ornament to keep the memories alive.
- Make or buy inexpensive packs of Christmas cards, and recruit friends to spend an afternoon signing them and writing a personal note. Then take them to a local nursing home for residents who may not have guests for the holidays.
- Write letters to Santa.
- Cut out paper snowflakes and hang them in your entryway.
- Make some homemade Play-Doh and use those cookie cutters to make fun and festive shapes.
Get Out of the House . . .
- Enjoy shopping at local boutique stores for unique gifts.
- Pack up hot cocoa and cookies, throw on your pj's and drive around to look at Christmas lights while listening to holiday tunes.
- Attend local nativity scenes or Christmas concerts.
- Find a local petting zoo so the kids can pet a real reindeer.
- Visit a local shopping mall and get pictures with Santa.
- Volunteer to serve at a local homeless shelter or by walking and loving on pets at your local animal shelter.
. . . Or Just Stay In
- Brainstorm and write down a list of goals for the coming year.
- Take time together to create a family yearbook with pictures and newspaper clippings.
- Read Christmas storybooks together in front of the fire, preferably from a pillow bed on the floor.
- Be a Secret Santa and share the joy by giving handmade gifts to friends or neighbors.
- Sing Christmas carols together. Bonus points for playing instruments!
We hope that these ideas will spark an opportunity to enjoy a few extra moments together as a family! Since 1973, Northern Lighting has been making the world just a little bit brighter in Westerville. From our family to yours, may your holidays be merry and bright!