3 Tips for Choosing the Best Professional Electrician for Your Next Lighting Project
When the weather begins to warm up, we all start thinking about refreshing our home and banishing the long, dark winter. One of the best ways to affordably update your home is to restore brightness and light to even the darkest corners. You may not even realize it, but light often plays a significant part in our life. Effective illumination can bring focus to highlights in landscaping, brighten a shady spot or accent a particular space within your home. Wiring lights yourself can be a dangerous situation, making it important to find a licensed and trusted electrician for your next lighting project. Here are some tips from the pros at Northern Lighting to help you get your new lighting safely installed.
Do Your Research
Even in a small community, you're likely able to find someone else who has recently had electrical work done to request a reference. If you use social media, it can be incredibly effective to "Ask for Recommendations" from your friends and neighbors. You may be surprised by the number of people willing to share their thoughts, both positive and negative! Once you have a few names that feel trustworthy, your job isn't finished. You'll still want to get the following before making your decision:
- Formal recommendations from the electrician or contractor
- A written estimate that includes the time required to complete the project and when the project can begin
- Proof of certification and any accreditations
When you get to the stage of interviewing your electricians, here are a few good questions to keep in mind and compare:
- How many years of experience do you have (in the particular task you need completed)?
- What are the names and qualifications of the individuals who will be doing the work?
- May I have a copy of your warranty or written guarantee?
- Are you licensed to work in my area?
- If your project involves LED lighting, request specific examples of recent projects that involved this type of lighting. Your electrician should be able to explain the different types of LED, and why one is better for particular applications.
- Are you fully insured for this type of project?
Whether you've already started a new project or are just in the planning stages, the most important aspect is to ensure that you and your family are protected by always using a trusted electrician for installation. Ready to create your next lighting projects? Check out our Dot Sale, where you'll find up to 20 percent off our best-selling styles! You can also see how to make the most of natural light in your home by reading our recent blog post. Visit our Northern Lighting showroom in Columbus, Ohio, and our professionals will help you find the ideal lighting options for your home and landscape.